Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Work Hard.

Sarah Hagan's passion for math overflows in her classroom, seen in her decorations, and into her students through her down-right "insanity" to make math relevant and engaging. Of course, a teacher who goes over and beyond his/her 8AM to 3PM working hours is commended, and I'm sure many of us already put in past those hours as well. But, what I got from this article was that she made her students thinkers. This bulletin board titled "How to Learn Math" is not a process that can only be embedded into math, but into everyday life as well (see picture). She has students practice, make mistakes, learn from them, ask for help, etc. This concept in itself catches my attention on how to learn math because I have yet to meet a teacher who implements this process to teach math. She gives her students opportunities to succeed as they must retry over and over until they are receiving an A or B. It teaches our students to work hard and overcome our struggles - work hard.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew,
    I agree that the process that she teaches her students to use when learning math really demonstrates how hard work is the key to overcoming failure. I think it also turns what would otherwise be a discouraging test result into something less scary. Her students don't feel like they failed they just know that they haven't achieved mastery yet and it is something they can work toward. I would love to think of how I can implement her strategy of A, B, Not Yet into my own classroom setting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.