Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Real life Math

I would like to strongly agree with Donna as well :) Engineering does work and could be the basis for STEM implementation in our classrooms. I am proud to say my final project focuses on engineering in the classroom and I am preparing a website that will have many resources for teachers grades K-8 who would like some help with including engineering in their classrooms. I myself incorporate many engineering projects throughout the school year with my middle schools and I do find that the hands-on engagement brings math to life for many of them. It's easy to teach measurement and ask the students to find area and perimeter, but when we are allowing them to use those previously learned skills it takes on a whole different meaning. I think we all learn by application and what better way to apply our previous knowledge then by working on real life problems. I do wish that my prinicpal spent more time on meaningful professional developments which gave us teachers more time to share experiences with each other because I would like to know how other teachers at my school teach math and provide real life experiences in math. And I agree with Jorge, engineering does take a lot of time and energy to prepare and teach. It would be easier if there was unlimited prep time and time throughout the day.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of your project Andrea. I don't know about you but doesn't it feel difficult to find ideas for these type of lessons? The good thing is that we are quickly falling into the forefront of a new era. Websites such as yours can become the place to go or the model for other websites. Im personally interested in creating more lessons that deal with Engineering in the classroom. After reading some of the blogs I can tell that what would really pack a punch would be lessons that can be integrated with subjects such as Math and Language Arts.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.