Monday, March 16, 2015

Textbook Review

My school uses Envisions for grades K-6 and Pearsons Pre Algebra and Algebra 1, neither of the two textbooks were reviewed.  I would have like to see how each of them scored just to get a better idea of how to best instruct my students.  Especially if certain chapters will not be tested on the CCSS.


I looked at Go Math, because I've heard a couple members of the cohort discuss how they find it to be quite useful for their student population.  I was quite surprise to see that it didn't meet the expectations for alignment to the CCSS for grades 3-5. 
Gateway 1
The instructional materials for Grade 3 do not meet expectations.


However, the instructional materials for Grades 4 and 5 meet the expectations for gateway 1 as they appropriately focus on the major work of the grade and demonstrate coherence within the grade and across other grades.


Gateway 2
 The instructional materials in Grades 4 and 5 partially meet the expectations for gateway 2 as they appropriately address rigor within the grade-level standards, but there are missed opportunities in the materials when it comes to attending to the full meaning of the Standards for Mathematical Practice. Overall, the instructional materials address the content standards very well and do a nice job of identifying and partially integrating the practice standards.


I feel that this is an excellent tool to use moving forward when selecting curriculum for our school.  However, teachers are the best judge of how to teach their students and what curriculum to use that will best support the new CCSS.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.