Friday, March 20, 2015

Go Math Text Review

After reviewing the report that was presented edreports.org I would have to say that I do agree with most of it. There are about 4 or 5 major units which are composed of about 3 chapters each. Like the review mentions, they do go over the concepts extensively. In terms of coherence, I like the fact that I can connect the approaches to other ideas. For example, area models and benchmarks are used to teach both addition and fractions. At the individual lesson level though, I feel that there is some disconnection from instruction to practice. An idea is presented one way but immediately assessed by another. The result is that I would need to adjust the instruction or practice so that the students are not confused about what to do.

Im not really sure if I was surprised about GoMath level 4 not making it passed Gateway two. I mean, my students are challenged when I provide them with performance based task or word problems, but as the whole curriculum moves on it can be repetitive. I like the Higher Order Thinking problems because they challenge the students that are done early, but I'm not a big fan of the fact that Go Math ask a teacher to front load so much of the vocabulary and then it does not do so as much throughout the chapters.

Overall, I am glad to know that there are groups that are willing to evaluate programs such as Go Math! This website will be very useful for my self and the curriculum committee that I belong to, especially considering that our contract with GoMath is almost up and so we will have to begin looking at others curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.