Donna, I agree with you. Engineering rocks! Students are
fully engaged at all times. They enjoy working (doing math and science) for a
purpose. But, I also agree with Erica. Even though these types of projects help
students to develop a logical way to think and solve problems, the assessment results
do not look good at all. Unfortunately,
the numbers matter very much to administration. I obviously get looked down on
when the students fail. So I have been struggling with time. How much time
should I devote to hands-on activities? How much direct instruction and review
of concepts should I do? Should I drill the students to help them master
content?
Yes, it has taken Jamerson 10 years to get to where they are
now. Administration will not back me up and wait to see if this type of teaching
works. If my students are not producing those high test scores I get frowned upon
by administration.
Another thing I have been struggling with is finding projects
suitable for my third graders. It seems that most of the projests out there in
regards to STEM are geared towards upper grades, middle school and high school.
And unfortunately, I have not had too much extra time on my hands for the past
year and half to search for resources that I can use in my class, besides EiE
and BIE to name a few.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.