Sunday, March 15, 2015

Text Book Review

Like Andrew, I was disappointed to find out that our school's chosen curriculum, "Go Math"  did not meet the expectations of the reviewers site for Common Core alignment.  Upon closer inspection the reason grade 3 did not meet expectations was due to the fact it assessed on fourth grade skills in two of its chapters. 

After reading the methodology of EdReports.org I feel the company has the best interest of our students at heart, and truly has taken time to review each of the curriculums stringently and effectively. It carefully looks at the base pieces of the curriculum, (without the extra bells and whistles) and evaluates it for alignment to the CCSS. 

I wish I had known about this information when we were doing a textbook adoption last year.  Although to be honest, I'm not sure it would have made a difference.  We chose Go Math after looking over a variety of curriculums.  It was the most comprehensive, the most adaptable to our students, and even used NASA's 5 E lesson plan style. Other curriculums did not meet the needs of our students.  I think we are comfortable with our choice as a school. It is important to say that we are allowed and encouraged to include teacher created materials whenever necessary. 

Regardless, the EdReport information does help me identify the weaknesses of the Go Math! curriculum and I am grateful for that.  At the end of the year when time is tight, it is nice to know which chapters (10, and 12) focus on standards that are not consistent with third grade standards. 
What it does provide me with is a built in enrichment opportunity for specific students. I see no problem in including other grade level standards, as long as it is clear in the text that they are not third grade standards.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.