Tuesday, March 3, 2015
Thinking Hijacker
GUILTY!GUILTY! GUILTY! After reading the article and my peers own situations they have been with their students, I am the same way. I sometimes feel that I am guiding their thinking but what I am truly doing is taking away the opportunity for them to show their own thinking. I find myself interrupting their thinking very often. Yesterday, I had Tash explain to me what he thought was the right way to establish a plot for a story. Well, my poor Tash, started to tell his way he would come up with a good plot for a sci-fiction, and I interrupted him on what I felt would be a good movies to use in order help capture their use of plot in a science fiction story. I saw Tash lose interest and lose focus of me talking about the idea he had shared. I felt bad because he is such a bright student and I took that opportunity to share away from him. At first I thought I was helping, then reading this article showed me that I was impeding his thinking. I am going to make more of an effort to make sure I give students the opportunity to finish their though and thinking before I decide to put in my suggestion. I also want to learn to let go of the reins and have the children come up with their own strategy to solve their own problem and answer the question they ask in the classroom. I am planning to share this article with my co-workers to see if they are doing the same in their classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.