Tuesday, March 3, 2015

I Do All of the Warning Signs: HELP!

I enjoying diving into students' thinking processes and how they critically think to find the solution. However, it takes a long time ... especially since my class is full of third graders and the majority are English Language Learners. I get so tempted to interfere when students are sharing their ideas because there are many pauses (3-10 seconds, at least it feels like it). Since I struggle waiting, I have to remind myself to silently count in my brain.

While reading the article, the questions to consider before proceeding were extremely helpful. Not only did this article identify warning signs of teachers, but they gave practical solutions. In addition, the solutions make the child the focus and reminds us, teachers, that students are the "production;" the show revolves around them.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew,
    Patience is also something I struggle with. I am not by nature a patient person and that translates to my teaching in many ways.
    As silly as it sounds when I am feeling restless and I just want my students to hurry up I think of Mr. Rogers. Mr. Rogers thought that children needed to learn to wait and be patient and demonstrated that sense of delayed gratification on his show. As a result studies have found that after watching Mr. Roger's neighborhood children exhibit more patience than when watching other programs such as Sesame Street.
    So as much as it kills me inside to have to wait, I try to remind myself that waiting is not only necessary in allowing students to develop their thinking but it is also beneficial for the students waiting as they learn to be more patient and delay gratification.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.