Monday, March 23, 2015

MEANING TO MATHEMATICS

This is the way I see STEM integration and programs such as robotics in elementary schools:

I feel that they are fantastic venue in which to teach some Math, Science, Language Arts,  Engineering, and Technology concepts, but not all. All programs can only go so far.  For example, robotics does a great job teaching problem-solving, reasoning, angles, measurement but it won't teach long division, two digit by two digit multiplication, or adding fractions with different denominators. My school day is just so packed with so many things to teach. I simply do not have enough time to complete dive into robotics. 

On the other hand, programs just like those are the ones that can change a student who absolutely hates math into a student that thinks it is most interesting subject in the world.  It Takes the conceptual and places it in a concrete world. It is what drives a student to choose a career in an exciting section of the job market. Experiences such as the ones that we provide to hands-on activities, are the ones of students will remember forever and instill the belief that they can do anything. I know my job is to teach the standards, but the reason I chose this career. Is because I want to help create lifelong learners. 

 I truly wish our instructional day had endless amount of time and energy. That way we could spend weeks on engineering activities and be able to revisit them several times, or maybe the students could spend months observing migration patterns of Washington Redtailed geese. But we can't.  Instead the right choice is to, choose what we feel is most important for our children in a given time frame. We have to choose the right lessons, units, and curriculum. I know it's going to be difficult but the thought can bring is just more exciting. 

2 comments:

  1. Jorge,
    I couldn't have said it better myself. It is just so difficult to find time to squeeze everything we need to teach into the school day. However, like you said it is so important to provide these opportunities to engage in hands-on STEM projects. With time and practice I hope that we will all find the happy medium to give students high-interest engaging activities and comply with the district curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideally, we will be able to continue to collaborate together after this program is over. That way we can share success stories.That way we can give one another advice on how we can make this happen. After all, we are all on the same boat.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.