Monday, March 16, 2015

Textbook Review-My Math

The current math program that my school uses, Envisions, is not currently listed as one of the math programs that has been reviewed by EDReports.org. However, I recently heard from my principal that we would be transitioning to the program My Math starting next year. He also informed me that this program was not CCSSM-aligned. This information already makes me weary of the program that I will be told to implement next year so I decided to read what EDReports.org had to say about it.

After reading the report on My Math I found that although the program is not fully aligned to the CCSSM in all grades, it is aligned in the third grade. While I do not find it acceptable that the district would adopt a program that is not fully aligned to the standards they are holding educators responsible for teaching, I find some solace in knowing that when it comes to third grade, there is the possibility of using this program as a resource. I also learned that the program contains a library of test questions that I can use to generate exams and I wonder what the quality of those test questions is like.

In third grade the program My Math met partial expectations when it came to coherence and math practices. This is because only some of the chapters connect the standards to work in higher grades and there is a lack of lessons based on building fluency in multiplication and division.


I found EDReports.org to be a very useful resource and I wish I had known about it before. Now that I know how this new program (My Math) fares and what its issues are I will be better able to supplement the curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.