Sunday, February 1, 2015

Week 1-Common Core

Dr. Daro’s discussion on how we teach math fits perfectly into the wider discussion on common core and its effect on mathematics instruction because most adults have experienced mathematics instruction that focuses on finding the answer. In turn, I believe that the way that common core math diverges from what we have been taught has helped generate the push back against the common core. Reading the article on Chrispin and parent pushback against the common core standards the common thread is that students and parents, as well as educators are not used to seeing math that focuses on the concepts rather than the procedure.

As a result we have teachers who are unsure how to teach the new curriculum because it is so foreign and students who are struggling to learn how to operate in this new type of mathematics classroom, as well as parents who are confused because they have never been asked to think conceptually about mathematics either. In addition we have districts like LAUSD that have hastily adopted and called for the implementation of the new standards with no training for teachers. Due to all of these factors it only makes sense that there would be so many negative opinions about the common core standards.

Personally, I don’t think that the standards are necessarily bad. With the prior standards we did have an issue with covering to many topics in to short of time and focusing more on procedures than concepts. However, I by no means feel prepared to teach the new standards in my classroom. I am still developing my own understanding of what the standards for my grade level are and what they would look like during instruction. This is problematic because it leads me to using my students as guinea pigs. I fear that there will be several classes of students who will become discouraged regarding mathematics because they happen to go to school during this odd transitional period. It is all very disheartening and I don’t have any solutions for these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.