Monday, February 16, 2015

Creative Thinking is not me

The videos took me back to class two weeks ago. When Dr. Lutz had us solve that addition problem in class, I for sure thought everyone would have the same solution. When I saw how many different solutions there were and how unique they all were I was sad to say, confused! I went the traditional route and assumed others would too. I don't teach that way or expect my students to have the same solutions at times, but I figured since we were all basically taught the same way when we were in school since Common Core wasn't around at the time, we would all go back to the way we learned. I felt more stupid when I didn't understand how some people arrived at their solution just as I was confused with Dylan's attempt. Being a creative thinker is something that cannot be taught. We as teachers need to allow our students to solve the way that comes natural to them and welcome their skills. As Erica mentioned in class we should encourage other students to learn from one another and try to understand other one another's thinking. But I myself find it hard because I am not a creative thinker and never have been. I don't have a creative bone in my body and that's when Common Core comes hard for me as teacher. I have to take ample time to understand and review what the task is for my students to ensure that I know it completely before I try to teach it to my students. As Mary mentioned in class, it is important that teachers are competent in all material they are teaching. When grading tests and reviewing classwork, it takes me longer to check the students work and try to understand how some arrived at their answer. Sometimes I have to stop and ask the student to explain their thinking to me because it isn't always clear. Too old to become creative? Maybe! I do try my best to teach and learn at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Andrea. I felt the same way. When Jorge explained his version, I thought to myself why didn't I think like him. But most of us were taught to solve it algorithmic.I understood the process, but I feel you on how do I teach my students to solve like that. I like math, but I felt a little dumb when I saw the really neat versions that the others shared in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea...I understand how you feel...because sometimes I see really weird alternatives, and other times I feel like I am hanging on by my fingernails. I used to think my way was wrong because it was not the teachers way, but now I am glad we can use several paths. I also think I HAVE GROWN into seeing other options to solving problems, which is basically lots of exposure. I have to give you credit for taking the time to understand your students thinking. That is a great step to take, for both their sake and yours. Teachers can also learn from our students.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.