Monday, February 16, 2015

Creative Thinking


We need more students to think like those kids did in the videos. We need to teach teachers to let their students explain their thinking like they did.After watching the video, I felt like I have been a very bad teacher all these years when I have been teaching my students the grade level math they must know. I have been so focused on just teaching the curriculum and I have forget to let the students show their process. I have been so focused on the one sided process that i have been taught and that process I have been pushing on to them, that I have not let them show me how they would solve the problems.
Since I have been in this class I have noticed that I have been changing my teaching approach in math and science. I am doing less talking and having the students do more exploring and explaining. Also I am asking the students to give me more details toward how they solved the math problem. I know there is still so much to learn from this approach, but I do feel that the students are most likely to try to solve something that has a little more challenge then just solving problems, just to solve problems. I still feel that we need to be trained to use appropriate questioning techniques in order to help drive the students thought process while explaining their mathematical thinking.

1 comment:

  1. Oscar...I think your last sentence is really important! "We need to be trained to use appropriate questioning techniques in order to help drive students thought processes while explaining"....fill in the blank. I also think we need SPECIAL techniques to dig into and ignite the fire in the minds of these unforntunate children who have been taught to 'learn" facts and not think.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.