The idea of structured cross-grade level PLC time has been
in play in my school district for some time.
However, its big deal when it happens.
I believe it should be something that is incorporated into staff
meetings on a regular basis, not once a year.
These meeting have not only helped me understand where my students are
coming from, but it has refined my opinion of what teachers in previous grade
levels are doing to prepare my students for success in my grade level. I have often wondered, “What are the teachers
in grades prior to me doing with these students?” Students come with minimal skills. Basic facts come at premium and my
frustration escalates as I have to remediate for an overwhelming percentage of
students on a yearly basis. Throughout
the process of cross grade level articulation, I am more aware of how teachers
are building up my students in previous grades.
The conversation is less of one that has the feel of blame and more of
one that offers support and strategies for bridging the gaps in our students’
skills. I hope these conversations will
happen on an increased basis in regards to strategy as our knowledge of the
Common Core standards increases.
I currently teacher grade five. 4th grade supports my key concepts
of fractions, decimals, and geometry by teaching students about factors, basic facts, and place value. The fifth grade measurement
standards are supported by a basic understanding of conversions between larger
and smaller units within the same system.
Fifth grade supports sixth grade by building up the standard of dividing
a fraction by a fraction. The geometry increases
into area and volume measurements. Students
move further into abstract concepts such as absolute value and ratios and
proportions. These are supported by
operations with fractions introduced in fifth grade.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.