I particularly liked the Ed Week articles! The one on the
difficulties that English learners are having with Common Core was helpful. I saw that Andrew has made
a scaffold for his students and I would add that there is also a nice math
focused scaffold in “Supporting English Language Learners in Math Class”,
by Rusty Bresser, et al. It is a great book and there is another more recent
one by him on Science.
The Ed week article that I found most helpful immediately
was the one on fractions. I learned a lot, and I HAD thought I was doing pretty
well. It made the scope much more clear to me, and also clarified aspects of my
own grade level(s) focus. Oh well, live and learn!
Something that bothered me was the comment about generalist
teachers not having the training for teaching Common Core. Apparently there is
some shock as to how much conceptual training was needed in the teacher corps.
Considering that most teachers today have been taught by non-constructivist means,
and in fact usually by the very methods we are now trying to improve upon, it
should have been understood. It makes perfect sense to me that almost ALL of
the teaching corps needs re-education. It is not that teachers are not smart
enough but that their teachers often
taught algorithms, not concepts, for the most part. In my experience teaching,
if you learn a shortcut before you learn the concept, it is the shortcut that
you remember. It is always important to present the opportunity to construct
understanding first, and only much, much later step in with an algorithm. If in
our education classes, a concept was presented, many people would still go back
to the algorithm or mnemonic they remember. In my son’s words about algorithms
when he first experienced them, “when you do it this way, you don’t have to
think about it.” He had learned conceptually. However, most of us did not, and
that goes a long, long way back.
The use of a number line as a better representation of
fractions, of course in combination with other modeling tools, makes perfect
sense to me. I used to teach middle school and often battled the disconnect
that kids had when they had only seen circle models of fractions and then we
moved to number lines and positive and negative numbers too. It is important to
build that understanding of number sense up inclusively. Fractions are numbers.
I think this is a very positive move of Common Core.
Like several of my classmates, I truly think that there are
issues with some standards that are developmentally inappropriate. Also, there
are huge issues with turning around and testing children as if they had the
years of foundational information and process, all within a short change of
public educational standards. It takes five or six years for a fifth grader to develop
skills, which are built up from pre-K or K. The article about concerns with the
Common Core standards in Texas is an example. Six weeks into a new way of
educating a child, you are going to test them and hold them up to imposed new standards
that should have been started with them years before? And send home a note that
they are failing?
I think we are failing children by not paying more attention to the
children’s developmental abilities and growth process. Education is a process. We
cannot impose developmentally inappropriate material, and we cannot ask a
generation to turn on a dime and ‘know’ the new standards. It is going to take
time to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.