Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Common Core

I think that the shift to Common Core State Standards is a positive move towards helping provide a blue print for teachers to use when planning meaningful instruction. There are fewer standards and these are taught at a much deeper level than has been previously taught. We have taught to such a vast array of standards that are taught at a very superficial level, like skipping pebbles across a pond without exploring the deeper levels. Common Core focus on providing opportunities for students to learn at higher levels and there is increased rigor. Content has always been important, but the added focus through Common Core is the "process" of learning. Our school is all on board with adopting the Common Core Standards. We have been receiving on-going professional development throughout the school year. I love the shift!

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I love that your school is on board with the standards. It sounds like educators in your school are receiving the support they need to understand what the standards are asking students to do and how to teach them.

    Personally, I have no issue with the standards themselves. As I have read more about the NCTM's principals of mathematics teaching I find that there are many parallels between the and the CCSS so its definitely not anything new.

    My chief problem with the CCSS is in how they have been implemented and the lack of support given to educators. The thinking required for the CCSS is very different from what any of us have grown up with yet very little attention has been given to informing parents and educators about the shifts in thinking the standards ask for.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.