Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Common Core J. Cordova

I have always liked the idea of Common Core. It just felt like it was no longer about the answer like the Daro video mentioned but instead it was about the "how." It was the, "how did you get there?"

But as many of us have also mentioned, the interpretations of those standards are being misunderstood. Some of my colleagues who are confused with the standards will simply say, "we don't know what to do because we haven't seen the how its tested yet." For a while I didn't know how to make sense of it. The video lends some explanation by saying that as a whole, we have learned to teach answer getting instead of the mathematical processes. I hope that we continue to make sense of  the Common Core state standards for what they were meant for without having to fall back on some of faulty strategies of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.