- In third grade you add, subtract, multiply, and divide numbers to a certain place value. On the next grade level you do the same to the next place value- Ex 1-100 vs 1-1000
- If in third grade you interpreted fractions as 1/a, then in 4th grade you interpreted fractions with greater numeratiors (a/b), and in 5th grade you would look at mixed fractions (C a/b).
- If you are determining a solution in 3rd then in 4th you are evaluating and in 5th you are creating solutions.
Sunday, February 22, 2015
Articulation of CCSS Math
From what I could tell, the CCSS math standards in Grades 3, 4, and 5 cover the same domains. That is, Operations and Algebraic Thinking, Number and Operations in base ten, Measurement and Data, Geometry, and Numbers and Operations- Fraction. If I were to try peg the pattern in the standards it would be this. As the standards move up in grade level, the depth of knowledge goes deeper. Here are some examples:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you Jorge. I also like how the standards progress and build upon each other as the students move onto the next grade. However, I think it is important that teachers plan accordingly with teachers in the grade level below and above in order to best suit students. Sometimes it is hard because teachers take offense to any advice or suggestions but I think as future STEM leaders we need to give an example of how important proper math procedures are. I know I am always looking to better my practice and always evaluating my students progress as you mention Jorge. But sadly some teachers aren't as pro-active.
ReplyDelete