Sunday, February 22, 2015

Articulation of Common Core Math Across Grade Levels

I feel like this is a big topic to bite off... so I'll take a small bite.  I began looking at the math standard we are studying currently in class.  We are teaching the kids elapsed time using word problems.  We blew through the first lesson about telling time, thinking that our students had been getting it from kinder.  First mistake.  Upon looking at the correlating standards from second grade, students were only expected to tell time to the nearest five minutes.  Our problems for elapsed time expected the students to tell time to the nearest minute and be familiar with phrases like "quarter to, ten past, five to... etc." Not only did our students not know this information, but most couldn't tell time!  It is so important for teachers to look back to see where proficiency lies in previous grade levels, if only to be able to fill in the holes.  Our curriculum only spent one day on time, we felt that it was because they had already received instruction, turned out this wasn't the case.  Looking ahead to fourth grade, students are expected to use all four operations to solve time problems.  The standard is very vague, but clearly students will need to be able to tell time accurately. 

As Common Core is very new for our school (we are in our first  year of implementation) everyone is simply trying to keep their head above water.  Myself included.  Honestly, our simplest form of articulation across the grade levels, relies on the curriculum doing it for us.  My grade level has had informal meetings with fourth grade asking them how they interpret particular standards so that we can best prepare our students, but nothing school wide has yet been implemented.  I am unclear at this point how I can best advocate for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.